
I have found myself saying these very words over and over again to describe myself. But why is that? Is it just an excuse to behave badly when I feel so inclined? Is it simply out of sheer laziness? Or does it go much deeper than that?
I find it disconcerting to be around people who are "fake", which is a term I use loosely. For example, someone who bottles everything up inside but always has a smile on their face, to me, is a ticking time bomb. Or the person who can tell a bald-faced lie, but on the surface ooze charm and wit, in my estimation, is a master of manipulation. However, I believe that there is a delicate balance when it comes to emotions. I will admit that I am one who "wears my heart on my sleeve". I also find it very difficult to understand people who do not do this. But then again, the individual who cannot seem to keep themselves in check when it is deemed socially necessary, can dig themselves into a hole that is hard to climb out of.
So, where is the middle ground? Who is to say what the middle ground is? Clearly everyone has to decide for themselves. But in the end, do I really believe that what you see is what you get? Absolutely not. It never is. There is a lifetime of experiences that need to be referenced in order to truly understand what you see. And who has time for that?

Just as a side note, I wanted to talk about the term bald-faced lie. My husband and I had a discussion about the term and he insisted that it was bold-faced lie. So I looked it up. And just for the record, bald-faced lie is the original term referring to a time when men had facial hair and it was difficult to read their facial expressions and thus, easier to lie than if their face was bald. Bold-faced lie is a more recent term but is also correct and has the same connotation. And as it happens, is also a cliché. So thank you Budge for adding to this post.
ReplyDeleteIn reference to your comment -That is hilarious! I just had a similar conversation about unkempt vs. unkept. Love your musings, I look forward to more :)
ReplyDelete