Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Technicolor Yawn


feeding (Large)
Originally uploaded by Keith Park
I heard this phrase for the first time this week and laughed at it. What an awesome description of something that I absolutely loathe! Especially for those of us with children.

So last night, I had a migraine to beat all migraines. You know, the kind where you want to sit in the dark, move as little as possible, and try not to cry because that just makes it worse. I also felt like puking my guts out and I probably would have felt better if I had. But I always do everything in my power to avoid such nastiness. I can sit for hours and swallow my spit every two or three seconds just to keep in down. I know that this seems like a lot of work but that is how much I hate to throw up.

So to amuse myself, I let my mind wonder. And amid my random musings I began to think about the kinds of food that taste ok coming back up. I think the top on my list are chocolate milk and Cheerios. So then I started to think about eating Cheerios with chocolate milk poured on them. Hmm....I wonder if that is even better? But thinking about eating and food made my stomach cramp even more and I had to switch to something else.

Which led me to think about birds and those poor mothers who will eat and then regurgitate their food to feed their babies. I think I read once that they do this because it is easier for the babies to digest the food once it has already been partially digested. Wow! Isn't it amazing what mothers will do for their children? I can't imagine this process being pleasant for those mother birds but then again, what do I know about being a bird?

So here's to all of you crazy and wonderful mothers out there who sacrifice and do sometimes absurd and nasty things simply to benefit your children. Where would we all be today without you?

No comments:

Post a Comment